“Eating healthy is expensive” I hear it ALL the time. But really, it’s all about perspective. I find that many people don’t flinch at the $20 take out meal, the $15 glass of wine, the $60 magic greens powder or the $7 oat milk latte. Why? Because they satisfy us immediately and we all love short cuts and quick results. But when it comes to making changes to the food on our plates there’s a lot of resistance, and all the excuses around “time” and “expense” start to roll in.
Why? Because changing our habits is HARD. We have years, decades of patterns around food that have to be unraveled. And food, it makes us feel stuff. But that’s why my approach to food is never about restriction or boring meal plans and instead about learning HOW to eat in a way that makes you feel calm and satisfied around food. And this can fit into ANY budget. Rather that policing my client’s plates, or giving them a big list of “foods to avoid” I instead help them make simple swaps, and elevate the products they are using on a daily basis, and I encourage you to take a similar approach!
Here are 5 swaps you can start making this week:
- SALT: Ditch the table salt and swap to a mineral rich sea salt like THIS one. From salting your food to adding a boost of minerals into your water, this brand is doing it right. I also love their electrolyte mixes. You can save $ with code “TAYLOR” on any of their products.
- OILS: Swap vegetable oils for better quality oils. I always keep Avocado, Coconut and Extra Virgin Olive Oil in my pantry! Vegetable oils like canola, sunflower, cottonseed, safflower are high in omega 6’s and cause inflammation in the body. They are cheap and can be found in most processed foods and restaurants. Choosing to use high quality oils in your home will be a huge step in better supporting your body and your energy levels.
- DRESSINGS/SAUCES: Swap for no-added sugar sauces and dressings is a simple yet effective way to elevate your nutrition. Sugar sneaks into EVERYTHING! So I try to minimize it where I can, and luckily there are some amazing brands creating products with minimal ingredients and no added sugar, without compromising taste. Primal Kitchen is my go-to; you can find everything from ketchup and mustard to unique salad dressings and flavored mayos. Use code “TAYLOR” and you’ll save some $.
- COFFEE + ALTERNATIVES: To my coffee lovers, don’t worry I will never tell you to give up that cup of goodness. BUT it is something you can elevate. If you’re making your coffee at home (a huge money saver) find an organic coffee! Coffee is heavily sprayed with pesticides so using an organic bean is well worth it! To help support your blood sugar levels you can also try adding a scoop of protein to your morning coffee (see below for my go-to protein powder). If you’re not a coffee fan or experience some of the negative side effects like jitters and anxious energy, try swapping for matcha! I have been loving Pique Tea. All their teas are organic and go through a triple toxin screen to ensure there are no heavy metals, pesticides or toxic mold. I am always willing to pay more for better quality. Check them out HERE and you can save 5% with code “TAYLOR”.
- PROTEIN POWDER: This one is a biggie! I’m a huge fan of having a high quality protein powder on hand. Protein is the most satiating macro nutrient and I find that most of my clients aren’t eating enough. Having a powder you love is a great way to add a boost to your smoothies, chia pudding or baked goods to help support balanced blood sugar and make you feel more satisfied. Unfortunately most of the protein powders on the market are garbage. They’re loaded with added sugars, flavors and a long list of questionable ingredients. The BeWell Protein Powder surpasses anything out there by a long shot! It’s organic, 3 ingredients and tastes amazing! It’s the only one I use and I recommend it to clients, family and friends! You already know I have a special discount for you too; Code “TAYLOR” will save you $. Remember, you get what you pay for and protein powder isn’t something you want to skimp on. Do your research, read those labels, or trust me and stock up on this one in every flavor! You won’t regret it 😉
Don’t forget, this is a process that doesn’t happen overnight. Be gentle with yourself and take things slow. Unfortunately companies have created products that have completely hijacked our taste buds and made us addicted to sugar and processed carbs. These choices overtime lead to fatigue, inflammation, weight gain, brain fog and less than optimal health. But luckily with a few small shifts you can start taking back control of your health and will see big results in how you look and feel. I know it can feel overwhelming navigating all the information out there, but you don’t have to overhaul your entire life at once. You don’t need to buy everything organic or make everything from scratch. Instead, start with the basics.
1. Focus on whole foods
2. Make simple swaps to elevate your meals
3. Add in more of the good stuff! (Healthy fats, protein, veggies!)
And if you need help making sustainable changes to your food approach, book a free breakthrough call and let’s chat.